Many children sin by being late: either to school, or to extracurricular activities, or to friends’ birthdays, or even to a meeting with their beloved grandmother. Parents shrug and do not understand what can be done to make friends with their child over time. Meanwhile, punctuality is also a good habit that you should constantly work on.
Reasons for being late
Before proceeding with the eradication of regular delays, you should understand the causes of this phenomenon. For children of different ages, levels of activity and temperament, the factors of being late will be completely different.
The main reasons leading to problems over time include:
- The presence of the so-called attention deficit disorder. Often this syndrome goes in addition to the melancholic temperament of children and their general slowness. The child cannot quickly switch attention from one activity to another. He needs more time than other children to get involved in a new process (putting himself in order, getting ready, leaving the house, waiting for public transport, getting to his destination, etc.);
- Undeveloped sense of time and space. If a child is not familiar with a mechanical watch or does not perceive the phrases “in an hour”, “in the afternoon”, then he will be late more often and do everything at the very last moment. Such children simply cannot understand whether 10 minutes is a lot or a little;
- No mode. Too late going to bed or a complete lack of regimen leads to the fact that the child wakes up lethargic, lack of initiative. And if there is no morning exercise or breakfast in the daily routine, then the baby will not only be constantly late, but also experience problems with concentration throughout the day;
- Negative parent example. It is difficult to expect punctuality from a child whose parents are also systematically late. A son or daughter may have the wrong idea that there is nothing wrong with a careless attitude to time.
Sometimes children’s delays can be caused by more serious reasons: conflicts with the team or the teacher, because of which the child, as if on purpose, delays the moment of meeting with them, the presence of neurological diseases or general malaise.
Recommendations for children and parents
Useful tips and rules will help moms and dads teach their child to manage time. Catch:
- Set a positive example. If you yourself are not very punctual, waking up only after the 10th alarm, then it is not surprising that the child does not consider being late a tragedy. Do you want your child to become responsible and not acquire a negative reputation in the future? Start with yourself: a clear regime and no fees in a hurry.
- Make a routine. Living according to a plan will allow the child to independently plan his affairs, especially if he falls asleep and wakes up at the same time. Teach your children to do all the support activities the day before: pack your backpack, put your shoes in a change bag, prepare your uniform for the school day. Try to plan every day: this will develop a good habit.
- Help your baby adjust over time. Give him a comfortable and beautiful watch, teach him to tell the time. In a conversation with preschoolers, abstract phrases “in an hour”, “toward evening” should be minimized. Toddlers are more willing to perceive specific time intervals: “when you get up and wash”, “when you return from school and have lunch”. Ordinary wall calendars located in prominent places will help to understand the cyclicality and importance of time.
- Use visualization. It will allow the child to establish spatial orientation and stop constantly rushing. To do this, you can use a drawing board, a notebook or any other surface for art. Have your child mark everything they have done on their to-do list. Incomplete can be marked in red or transferred to the «execute» column. The benefits of such an approach cannot be overestimated. Planning develops responsibility, punctuality and relieves the child psychologically: now he does not need to keep all current tasks in his head and worry about forgetfulness.
- Do not neglect electronic assistants. Let your child use a tablet or phone within reasonable limits. With their help, you can create reminders, leave notes and set an alarm. Excellent tools for developing self-discipline!
Parents should remember that developing punctuality takes time and effort for both the child and his assistants. Do not scold the baby if at first he is still late. If the recommendations are followed, the son or daughter will definitely get used to the new routine, improve time orientation and stop being constantly late. The task of moms and dads is to support their children at every stage of this difficult journey.