Many people think that the sun’s rays in the velvet season can no longer have such a negative effect on the skin of a child as in summer. However, compared to the skin of an adult, the skin of a child is thinner and more vulnerable, weakly synthesizes melanin (natural protective pigment) and, regardless of the season, when exposed to direct sunlight, is more susceptible to the negative effects of ultraviolet radiation. Specialized sunscreens with a high degree of protection will help protect delicate baby skin from sunburn and overheating.
Why is it important to protect your baby’s skin from UV radiation?
In order for the holidays to bring positive emotions to children and their parents, it is worth taking care of protecting the skin from exposure to broad spectrum UV rays in advance. Remember that the immunity of the child’s epidermis is formed before the age of 12 — before this age, children’s skin is highly sensitive, most susceptible to ultraviolet radiation and quickly burns. Sunscreens with a maximum degree of protection SPF 50+ will come to the rescue.
How to choose a good sunscreen for a child?
Children’s sunscreens are distinguished by their hypoallergenic composition, waterproof natural formulas based on caring, softening, moisturizing ingredients and the presence of safe UV-absorbing sunscreens. Sunscreens for the little ones should also be free of alcohol, chemical fragrances, preservatives and parabens.
How to use children’s sunscreen correctly?
- Before using sunscreen on a child’s skin, first test the composition for allergenicity: apply a little product to the bend of the baby’s elbow — if after 15-20 minutes redness and itching do not occur at the site of use, feel free to apply the product all over the body.
- Apply a generous amount of baby tanning product 20-30 minutes before going outside directly: this is necessary so that the product has time to be absorbed and form a protective film on the surface of the child’s skin.
- Pay special attention to open and protruding areas of the body: face, shoulders, back, chest, knees and do not forget about the ears and parting on the head.
- Every 2 hours and after swimming, renew the protective layer of sunscreen — over time, as well as after contact with water, the photostability of SPF filters decreases and loses effectiveness.
- Be sure to wash off the remnants of sunscreen from the baby’s skin upon returning home, after a shower, apply a moisturizing nourishing cream to restore the hydro-lipid protective mantle. For the delicate skin of a child, Lipikar Lipid Replenishing Cleansing Gel is suitable.
Especially for responsible parents who care about the health of their child, the La Roche-Posay brand has developed a line of sunscreens for children Anthelios Dermo-Paediatrics:
- Anthelios Dermo-Pediatrics Sunscreen Baby Milk for Infants and Children SPF 50+
Suitable for delicate children’s skin of the face and body, has a hypoallergenic composition. Milk provides reliable protection against UVA / UVB rays. The product formula is effective in the open sun for up to 6 hours. Suitable for babies from 6 months. The water resistance of the formula lasts up to 40 minutes. Shea butter and La Roche-Posay thermal water additionally strengthen, soften, moisturize the vulnerable epidermis, and selenium launches antioxidant protection that prevents the negative effects of free radicals on skin cells.
- Anthelios Dermo-Pediatrics Sun Spray SPF 50+
Invisible spray, suitable for hypersensitive skin of children from 3 years. The formula includes a system of powerful Mexoplex sunscreens, reliably protects against UVA / UVB rays, is easy to apply, quickly absorbed, leaving no residue.
- Anthelios Dermo-Pediatrics Sunscreen Gel with SPF 50+ Wet Skin Technology for Children’s Face and Body
The hypoallergenic formula of the gel is based on the Vetskin technology, which allows you to apply the product even on wet skin, providing high photostable protection from ultraviolet A and B and preventing oxidative stress. Ultra-waterproof, suitable for the face and body of a child from 3 years old.
- Anthelios Dermo-Pediatrics Sunscreen Moisture Milk SPF 50+
Milk has a waterproof, hypoallergenic formula based on La Roche-Posay thermal water and Mexoplex sunscreens, moisturizes the skin, protects against UVA / UVB rays, suitable for children from 3 years old.