The perineum is the muscles of the pelvic floor, located between the anus and the vagina, which stretch during labor.
During childbirth, the perineum is under enormous stress and any careless movement can lead to ruptures.
The risks of ruptures increase:
1. During the first pregnancy
2. Under the influence of hereditary factors
3. With a large weight of the child
You can do the massage yourself, but it is best to involve your husband in this process: this will give better comfort with a large belly, and will also contribute to overall relaxation during the massage.
Position during massage
Lie on your back with a small pillow under your lower back. Self-massage can be done in the bathroom by placing one foot on the edge of a chair or tub.
- Pour the oil from the bottle on your fingers before starting the massage (do not dip your fingers in a container, as this may lead to contamination of the oil).
- Lubricate the skin of the perineum and the part of the vagina close to it with oil.
- Insert your thumb or index finger shallowly into the vagina and make pressure movements on the back wall of the vagina, as if stretching it.
- Hold in this position for 40-60 seconds, release and repeat on the other side. Such movements should be repeated for 5-7 minutes.
- Then massage the moistened skin of the perineum for about 1 minute with your thumb and forefinger (thumb inside, index finger outside or vice versa).
Your vaginal muscles will be tense at first, but after a while your muscles will relax.
Perineum massage also improves blood circulation, has a beneficial effect on the nervous system and internal organs.
For best elastic improvement results, the following rules should be followed.
— massage regularly
— empty the bladder and intestines before the massage
— you can pre-take a shower or bath to relax the tissues of the perineum
— wash your hands thoroughly and cut your nails short for the massage therapist
— use only special oil for the perineum
Contraindications for massage
For perineal massage, you must first consult with your doctor.
Restrictions for such procedures include infectious and inflammatory diseases of the vagina (bacterial vaginosis, thrush), also a possible threat of termination of pregnancy, fever of the pregnant woman.
When is the best time to get a massage?
The procedure can be performed at any time, but it is usually recommended to do it a month before the birth.
In this case, the closer the term of childbirth, the more often massage is performed:
- from 28 weeks — once a week
- from 32 weeks — once every 3-5 days
- from 36 weeks — every other day or daily
WAW’s special Healthy Mom perineal massage oil makes this process easy and enjoyable!