MCT oil is a source of fatty acids necessary for the normal functioning of all body systems. The product contains triglycerides — medium chain fats. Oil intake is useful at any age. Otherwise, the product is called MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) and this is the most useful type of fatty acids. You can take it to lose weight, increase the body’s endurance, protect against aging, improve brain function, and protect the cardiovascular system.
MCT oil is a source of dietary, healthy fats. It is obtained from plant products, mainly from coconuts. Unlike animal fats, MCT does not lead to obesity, does not increase blood cholesterol levels, and does not harm the cardiovascular system.
MCTs are medium chain triglycerides, a form of fatty acids. The full name is medium chain triglycerides oil. In Russian, it is called TSC, SCT.
A person eats fats with different atomic chain lengths. For the body, the most suitable type is medium-chain fats, from 6 to 12 atoms in length. Such triglycerides are well absorbed, strengthen the immune system and have a lot of useful properties.
Where it is found, nutritional value
MCTs can be obtained from food:
- Coconut oil contains 15% triglycerides and is the main source of MCTs;
- palm oil contains 8% triglycerides;
- cheese — 7.3%;
- dairy products — 7%.
The finished oil, admitted in the form of additives, is free from foreign impurities and consists of 100% fats. The nutritional value is about 833 calories per 100 grams of product. A feature of this product is the absence of an unpleasant taste and smell. It has a subtle coconut flavor, so it can be added to any dish.
The unique structure of triglycerides makes the product beneficial for the entire body. How MCT works:
- Improves digestion. Medium chain fatty acids are well absorbed, without changes enter the bloodstream from the digestive system. This property is especially useful for people with digestive problems and those with a missing gallbladder.
- Purifies the body. Oil binds and removes toxins, toxins, harmful microorganisms. Oil intake restores normal microflora, stimulating the growth of beneficial flora.
- Is a source of energy. For the storage, transportation and use of MCT, the body practically does not waste energy. At the same time, fatty acids are processed in the liver, are quickly absorbed and provide sustainable energy production.
- Normalizes the balance of hormones. The intake of oils with MCTs helps to restore the normal balance of hormones. This property of the product is useful in losing weight, when excess weight gain is associated with hormonal imbalance.
- Strengthens immunity. MCT has antiviral and antibacterial properties. This makes taking the product beneficial for the immune system.
- Improves the absorption of nutrients and minerals. Taking MCT enhances the effectiveness of many supplements.
- Supports the work of the cardiovascular system. Fatty acids reduce the level of bad cholesterol, preventing the formation of atherosclerosis. Taking MCTs reduces the risk of stroke, heart attack, and other heart conditions.
- Improves brain function. Fatty acids are essential for good memory and concentration. The intake of oils is recommended for children with poor school performance.
- Slows down aging. MCTs act as an antioxidant, slowing down the aging of the body.
Indirectly, MCTs are involved in the restoration of the musculoskeletal system after illnesses and injuries.
Indications for use
You can use MCT as a source of triglycerides for no particular purpose, as an antioxidant, to strengthen the immune system. But initially this product was created for a therapeutic purpose, it was prescribed for the following conditions:
- cirrhosis of the liver;
- type 2 diabetes;
- diseases of the digestive system;
- tendency to form blood clots, high cholesterol;
- heart disease;
- poor immunity.
Of course, oil should not become the only and main remedy for any disease. It perfectly complements the diet, helps to get rid of fatigue, but is not a drug.
MCT oil for weight loss
MCT affects metabolism by activating metabolic processes, reducing body fat and preventing weight gain. What else is useful oil for weight loss:
- suppresses hunger, gives a feeling of satiety, reduces cravings for sweets;
- improves the work of the stomach and intestines, which contributes to the rapid and complete digestion of food;
- triglycerides do not form fatty deposits, are quickly absorbed by the body;
- as a source of energy for cells, it increases physical endurance, helping to train longer in the gym.
The supplement has a fairly high calorie content (about 120 kcal per serving), but is considered a dietary product because it does not contribute to weight gain.
It should be borne in mind that MCT oil is not a fat burner and a magical remedy for excess weight. But if it is correctly entered into your diet, then the speed of achieving your goal will increase.
What you need to know about taking MCT for weight loss:
- Before taking it, you should consult your doctor, especially with severe obesity. In some cases, oil intake will be contraindicated.
- In the absence of contraindications, you can start taking the product. The first two days, the dosage should be minimal — no more than half a teaspoon. Gradually, around the end of the week, the portion increases to 2-3 tablespoons.
- The method of taking the oil does not matter. You can use it in its pure form and with food. The product must not be heated, it is not worth frying food on it.
- For weight loss, taking oil is not enough. It only speeds up the process started by the body. Diet and exercise are a must.
- When taking MCT, you should reduce the amount of other fatty foods.
MCT as sports nutrition
MCT oil is often positioned as a sports nutrition. Indeed, this product is used by athletes to increase strength, accelerate metabolism. The advantage of oil is its ability to be converted into energy without being stored as fat. This increases the endurance of the body, helps to train longer without fatigue.
Another function of MCTs is to improve nutrient absorption. If an athlete takes protein, amino acids and other sports nutrition, then the oil will increase the value of these products.
It is better to entrust the doctor with the schedule for taking MCT oil, based on the patient’s health and the purpose of using the product. The dosage depends on the formulation of the MCT and the concentration of the substance. If these are capsules, then the average daily dosage is 2-3 capsules.
The most common form of release is liquid oil. It is sold in bottles with a regular neck or dispenser for ease of use. The dosage of this product is 2-3 tablespoons per day. It can be washed down with water, it can be added to salads as a dressing.
Are there any contraindications and side effects?
Reception of MCT oils is contraindicated in case of individual intolerance. If after using the product you feel unwell, then you should refuse the supplement. The product is also not recommended for pregnant and lactating women.
Side effects are rare, in most cases the oil is well tolerated by the body. Possible side effects include digestive disorders: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, increased gas formation.
The occurrence of undesirable reactions from the body is most often associated with improper storage of oil. It should not be frozen, kept open and consumed after the expiration date.
Also, do not abuse the product, you should follow the dosage recommended by the manufacturer or doctor. You need to start with a small portion — half a teaspoon, gradually increasing the dosage.
When choosing a product, it is important to pay attention to the source of the MCT. If it is pure palm oil, then it is better to refuse such an additive. Fats derived from coconut and palm kernel oils are beneficial for the body. The composition should not contain foreign impurities, including flavorings and preservatives. The product is perfectly stored at room temperature and does not lose its properties within the expiration date.