A good-natured child, open to the world, is not only a great joy for parents, but also another reason for concern. After all, to be trusting means to be completely confident in another person, even if it is a stranger.
What to do when the child is too trusting? What are the disadvantages and advantages of such a character warehouse?
plus or minus
From a very young age, mothers and fathers take care of their babies and teach them not to take sweets from strangers, not to communicate with strangers, especially if the parents themselves are not around.
But bans do not always produce the desired effect. The child can still take candy from passers-by, give directions, and even escort strangers to their destination. But it is very dangerous! And this is the main disadvantage of gullibility as a character trait.
Why does trust arise?? It turns out that the point is not only in the peculiarities of the perception of the world, but also in education.
For example, if a child from childhood is surrounded by a huge number of relatives — grandparents, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles — then he gets used to the fact that he can trust his inner circle. Later, over the years, he can transfer this feeling of confidence in other people to neighbors, passers-by or strangers.
Benefits of Trust
With all its disadvantages, children’s gullibility is also a plus. In particular, this quality will be useful to the baby in the future and will help him:
- lay the foundation for the development of an adult, mature, benevolent personality who can understand, believe, sympathize, sympathize, empathize;
- easier and faster to establish contacts with friends, relatives, colleagues, business partners;
- maintain an optimistic attitude;
- make a good impression on others with their openness and sincerity;
- establish trusting romantic relationships.
In order for a gullible child to receive only pluses from his quality and not get into a dangerous situation, parents should raise the baby in accordance with certain rules.
Rules for gullible children
So, you know that your little one is very trusting. What to do first? Learn the rules of a few «don’ts»!
- You can’t talk to strangers.
- Do not enter the entrance and the elevator with strangers.
- You can’t get into cars with strangers and accept gifts from them (sweets, toys).
- You can not open the door to anyone (only the next of kin).
- You can not go alone to unfamiliar, sparsely populated dark places.
The baby must know all the above safety rules by heart. They should be refreshed periodically. For example, in the form of educational videos or books that can be easily found on the Internet.
Proper upbringing of a trusting child
In addition to the five unshakable rules, attention should be paid to the process of raising a trusting child. Of course, there is no need to eradicate this quality. With the right approach, it will only help the child in the future.
Do not worry about a trusting baby at the age of 4-5 years. During this period, children go somewhere only with moms and dads, so they are under supervision.
But when the child gets older and can already walk or go to school on their own, it is required to clearly define the boundaries of what is permitted and what is not permitted.
First of all, moms and dads need to teach the baby to say “no”. In many cases, a trusting child is also a timid child. It is hard for him to refuse a stranger, when he asks to show him the right street or offers a mountain of sweets.
Tell your child that they must respond with a direct, persistent refusal every time they:
- a stranger offers sweets and toys;
- a stranger offers to sit in a car or a bicycle;
- a stranger invites to his home (“to see a kitten”, “show a book about dinosaurs”);
- the stranger demands to open the door and let him into the apartment;
- a stranger wants to pick him up from school, club or section.
It is necessary to talk with a child on such serious topics. He must understand that criminals can be sophisticated. For example, demand to open the door, saying that mom was in the hospital or that dad asked him to pick up a set of tools.
A kid from an early age needs to be taught to communicate not only on the street, but also on the phone. Only in this way will he learn that he should not immediately tell every passerby his full name or address. And, of course, it is not necessary to inform in a telephone conversation that no one is at home right now.
Explain to your child using the most accessible means that you can unconditionally trust only relatives and friends — parents, grandparents. And also do not forget to talk about your own feelings, about how you worry about him and why it is important to follow the memorized rules. It is the knowledge of the rules that will allow the child to make a decision in a difficult situation for him and become generally more careful and independent.