There is a lot of information about what brake pads are and how to choose them correctly, how to distinguish an original from a fake, etc. There are so many articles that it can get confusing.
Therefore, we give 5 points that the buyer definitely needs to pay attention to when choosing brake pads:
- Package. If the material of all manufacturers of brake pads is basically the same — it is corrugated cardboard (regular craft or colored), then by the size of the box we can draw a preliminary conclusion about the degree of responsibility of the manufacturer.
For all top manufacturers, the size of the box corresponds to what is in it. If we open the box, and it seems that it lacks a couple more pads, then this is the first reason for further careful study.
- Steel mounting plate.Everything is clear here — it should be even, thick enough (5-6mm), painted and in general should make a good impression. Some manufacturers paint the plates in their own recognizable color, which allows them to be immediately identified.
- Anti-noise / anti-squeal plate. May be metal or polymer. If it is metal, pay attention to the thickness and color. Firstly, the plate should not be made as if from tin. Secondly, if the coating feels rough / “soft-touch” / “rubberized”, then it has the best sound-damping properties — an additional plus for the manufacturer. Marking on the plate (brand logo, block number, other elements) must also be applied with high quality and must not be erased with a finger.
- Friction lining. A lot has been written on this topic, so let’s just remember the main points: the edges and edges are even, without chips, the surface without cracks and without large inclusions. Bronze-colored metal veins of the same length, evenly distributed. Unfortunately, we cannot accurately determine by eye how much the pad will dust, but, as a rule, the more uniform the surface of the friction lining and, accordingly, the finer the particles from which it is pressed, the more dusty the pad will eventually be. But this is not a minus, but just a property — which means that the less the pad will produce a brake disc. After all, in the end, all the properties of the block in the aggregate are important, and, first of all, its ability to slow down the car as efficiently as possible when braking.
- Attaching the friction lining to the mounting plate. Naturally, we will not check anything for separation and shift by hands, but this is not required. There is a better way — we look at the block from the side opposite the friction lining (from the one where the anti-creak plate is — remove it, if it is installed). If we see slightly prominent circles on the surface (usually 2-3-4), and the surface is flat, then we understand that we see cylindrical holes filled with friction mixture in the mounting plate, which means that the modern technology of pressing and sintering the mixture is observed, the lining is reliably fixed.
Here, perhaps, are the main points in the rapid assessment of brake pads «by eye».
TRIALLI brake pads have all the characteristics of a first-class product: no dust, no squeak and excellent braking!