The instinct makes the cat cover up its tracks and leave no waste products in sight. Having buried the waste, the animal feels calmer and more confident. Do not deprive your pet of the pleasure of tinkering in the litter by providing him with only an empty tray!
How not to hit the sky with your finger and choose the right one? Remember that for a cat there is nothing better than earth or sand. Do not start with exotic options: the animal may decide that the tray is not intended for toileting at all.
Important! The best content won’t force a cat to use a small litter box meant for kittens. The cat litter should be big.
Ideal filler, according to the pet:
- convenient to dig;
- no foreign odors;
- quickly absorbs liquid.
The ideal filler, according to the owner:
- perfectly neutralizes the smell;
- convenient to clean;
- is cheap;
- does not require frequent replacement;
- does not dust;
- does not spread throughout the house, sticking to the cat’s paws.
How it works?
There are two types of filler, differing in the principle of action. The components either absorb secretions and odors, or form dense structures in the form of lumps with urine, which are easily separated from the bulk.
Convenient for the cat, as it quickly absorbs a large amount of liquid. Manufacturers use natural raw materials that are safe for the health of the animal: special varieties of clay, corn, sawdust, pulp.
Most manufacturers do not add flavors, but the composition may include soda, activated carbon or silver ions — these components significantly improve the characteristics of the absorbent filler.
It is inexpensive, but requires more frequent replacement compared to clumping, and regular disinfection of the tray itself. There is a plus in this — with frequent washing, the risk of reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms in the contents of the cat litter is much lower.
Important! Opt for an absorbent if your pet has access to the street (walk it on a harness or take it to the country). Absorbent litter is the best option when there are several cats in the house.
Brands of this type are more popular, since the clumping filler is convenient for the owners. For its manufacture, bentonite is more often used — a clay mineral with excellent absorbing properties. Wood, paper and some other materials are also used as raw materials.
Why do cat owners love clumping litter? In addition to the obvious advantages — economy and ease of cleaning, some brands have special additives that change color depending on the composition of the urine. So, if the animal is sick, and there are no external symptoms yet, the unusual color of these additives will allow the owner to seek help from a veterinarian in time.
A number of manufacturers introduce substances into the composition that change color when urine enters. The purpose of such additives is to clearly define the boundaries of the lump. Therefore, the pet owner can save money by not throwing away clean litter. Many brands contain a variety of fragrances — components that are useless for cats, but pleasant for owners.
All fillers are divided into several types according to the composition of raw materials. There is no perfect kitty litter box: choose the right brand for your pet.
It is made from different types of clay rocks. The quality and properties of the filler depend on what minerals are included in the composition of the clay used by a particular manufacturer. Absorbent and clumping grades are available.
Bentonite is the best material for making filler.
Carefully! Never throw clay filler into the toilet: this will disable the sewer.
- natural structure that attracts a cat;
- fine granules are suitable for kittens, but there is a lot of dust from them;
- large fraction granules do not generate dust, but can injure the delicate paws of babies;
- can stick to the paws;
- do not hold moisture well if an unscrupulous manufacturer uses unsuitable raw materials.
It is made from small sawdust of different types of wood, pressed into granules. There are brands such as Sweet Pets that are 100% sawdust, and sometimes they are one of the components of the filler. Small sawdust will not damage the sewer pipes — the contents of the tray can be flushed down the toilet.
- natural raw materials;
- you can purchase a brand with granules of a suitable size;
- absorbs liquid well and retains odor;
- low price.
- a pet digger will scatter pellets throughout the bathroom;
- sticks to paws;
- the contents of the tray need to be changed frequently.
Wood filler from the brand Sweet Pets
This type is made from silica (silicon dioxide) — a natural substance, which is the main component of almost all rocks, processed using a special technology. The finished product has almost zero moisture, and due to the high porosity of the internal structure of the granules, it is able to absorb a large volume of liquid.
Carefully! Silica gel should not be thrown into the toilet.
- perfectly retains discharge and odor;
- you need to clean the contents once every two weeks;
- beautiful appearance and pleasant aroma.
- not every cat will use such a filler — it is very different from the structure of the earth or sand;
- the crunch of granules scares away some animals;
- its unusual appearance arouses gastronomic interest in kittens, which, if swallowed, can lead to obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract.
Corn on the cob has only recently been used to make cat litter. Such products are convenient for owners and animals like them. It can be flushed down the toilet or used as fertilizer.
- well absorbs moisture and smell;
- great even for small kittens; environmentally friendly:
- made from natural raw materials without additives.
- a diligent digger can easily scatter light granules around the bathroom and beyond;
- not all stores offer such a product;
- high price.
Produced by recycling and pressing paper waste. A good option for filling the tray, but slightly inferior in performance to clay or silica gel. The used contents of the cat litter should be thrown into the toilet in small portions.
- quickly absorbs liquid and odor;
- does not stick to paws;
- even large granules cannot damage the delicate skin of a kitten.
- requires frequent replacement;
- high price;
- rustles when the cat enthusiastically fumbles in the filler.
It is a mixture of clay and activated charcoal. It has excellent characteristics and is convenient for cats. Charcoal particles effectively absorb unpleasant odors.
- instantly absorbs moisture and odor;
- has antimicrobial activity.
- too hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air) — it is undesirable to place the tray in a bathroom or combined bathroom.
How to choose the right filler
- Even if you are sure that the kitten used a disgusting filler in his home, for the first time provide the baby with exactly the same one. He just broke up with his mother, found himself in an unfamiliar environment — do not create unnecessary stress for him. And after a few days, you can start replacing. However, do it gradually, gradually adding a new filler to the old one.
- What suits a kitten. Many manufacturers produce special brands for kittens. Keep in mind that the baby is not yet strong and he needs a high quality filler. It is not recommended to buy silica gel or very dusty litter for a kitten, preferably (but not necessarily) wood or corn litter.
- The cat has a long thick coat. A luxurious fur coat creates some inconvenience for both the animal and the owner. To prevent the pet from dragging particles throughout the apartment, purchase a heavy filler of a large fraction. Corn is definitely not suitable — it has small, fluttering particles. Popular brands for long-haired cats.
- Your cat is a desperate digger. Pets who like to bury their affairs hard and at the same time cover the floor with granules will not fit wood, corn or clay filler of a fine fraction. It is better to give preference to clumping types of fillers, but the most important thing in this situation is to choose the right tray.
- There are several cats in the house. Some of the pets may be picky about the toilet issue. In order not to organize a separate toilet for everyone with a personal filler, opt for a clay absorbent. In structure, it is more similar to earth and sand.
Carefully! The cat may have an allergic reaction to any component of the filler. In the process of replacing one brand with another, monitor the condition of the pet.
- The animal may refuse to use the tray due to the small amount of content: pour a sufficient layer of filler.
- The pet may go in search of a more suitable place for delicate matters due to the flavoring that is part of the filler: the desires of the cat should be a priority.
- If your cat is prone to allergies, look for brands made from wood or corn.
- Most manufacturers offer several packaging options — do not buy a large volume at once, as neither you nor the cat may like the contents.
- Some brands are quite expensive, think about monthly expenses before choosing a filler.
- Think about how affordable the chosen brand is: the constant expectation of the ordered product, which is not available for sale, will be very annoying.